Deck the Halls with Family Reunion Decorations
Adding theme decorations to your family reunion will sweeten the memories of the occasion. Your entire family will remember the day with joy and happiness instead of complaining about the walls of the hall that had spots on them or the floor that wasn’t the color they liked. Adding decorations to the venue of your family reunion will bring back the memory time after time for the aunts, uncles, kids, and grandparents.
One of the things you want your family to bring back from the reunion is the precious memory of the occasion. Using a theme or just decorating the hall or venue with balloons, streamers, and other party favorites will keep the memory of your family reunion longer. It will also give them a lot of fun as they share their memories of “the olden days”.
Use the following as a check list for ideas and activities to decorate your family reunion to make it fun and merry for all.
Family Reunion Decorations Ideas, and Activities for a Great Time
- Create a family tree with a human size cardboard cutout in the shape of a tree. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a tree it can be a timeline, castle, or anything else everyone will recognize as your family’s generations. Give each person a piece of the tree and have them write their information on it and put it on the tree where they come in the family tree.
- Make the use of banners to put a clear message about the family reunion such as “This is the family reunion of the Smith family”, check tickets for door prizes, or some type of scavenger hunt items they should be looking for. Another great ideas it to use sayings from literature, cartoons, sports, or the Sunday funnies to direct everyone to certain areas in the venue or areas where the there is something special happening. It depends on the theme and what your family likes.
- Of course, what is a family reunion without balloons and streamers including wall hangings and perhaps refrigerator art from everyone’s childhood?
- Make a collage of old family photos on the wall for everyone to relive the memory. You can also have a camera handy to take pictures of how they look today and put them with the old photographs. Be sure to put the person’s information on them such as birthday, and other information they are willing to share. You can make center piece of the photos by putting them on Popsicle sticks or standalone images on cardboard as the center piece.
More Family Reunion Decorations Ideas & Activities
- If no one has any flower allergies, you can place flowers all around the room. Be sure to check with everyone to make sure no one will suffer an allergic reaction to the scent of the flowers. There are flowers that don’t have a scent you can use instead.
- If you’ve had a reunion before this one, you can use those pictures on the walls, tables, and other areas of the area. Perhaps have the napkins printed with the images on them.
- You can also have images printed on the napkins or table cloths showing your family tree or the history of each family member. They make a great keepsake for the family reunion.
- You can also have buttons, pins, and other object printed with images of family members, especially the ones who have passed away.
- A family recipe book is always a big hit since a lot of people say, “I wish I had grandma’s recipe for winter soup.” or something to that nature. Either create it at the reunion or have it made before the reunion starts. It’s always a lot of fun to have everyone write down a recipe and share it with others, especially if it was a recipe from a departed family member.
…And More Family Reunion Decorations Ideas & Activities
- Have an art center for the kids to draw and paint their favorite persons, or a wall for the kids to hang their drawings on for all to see.
- You can have a game made for your family reunion such as using images of family member and everyone has to guess who they are. It’s best if you use pictures when they were young.
- A history of your family makes of good book for all to take home with them. You can also use an oral history and have it videotaped and made into DVDs for all to enjoy when they get home. They can also pass on the information to the next generation. Exhibit the books on a table or other display option for a excellent decoration.
- Family reenactments are always a great hit at a reunion. The plays or skits can take on the history of the family or things your family has done such as moving to a new house or having a backyard party that went astray. One last idea you can do at your family reunion is to have a memorabilia table with items that are precious to the family such as historic pictures, military memorabilia, old jewelry, the family bible, and other treasured item from your family’s history.
I hope you got value and inspiration from this post. Your feedback is welcome. Please leave it in the comments below.